January 16th, 2010
Mr. Atheist approached me. I was not even remotely interested in him via his profile, not to mention that we rated as a 37% match. However, he was humorous in our communication and his persistence won me over. Due to recent um, "poor decisions" which could mostly be linked back to alcohol consumption on my part, I decide that I should start meeting these men during the day. This bright idea doesn't last long, but I enjoy it for a few reasons:
Mr. Atheist approached me. I was not even remotely interested in him via his profile, not to mention that we rated as a 37% match. However, he was humorous in our communication and his persistence won me over. Due to recent um, "poor decisions" which could mostly be linked back to alcohol consumption on my part, I decide that I should start meeting these men during the day. This bright idea doesn't last long, but I enjoy it for a few reasons:
1. People always look different at night, some might say better. Shouldn't we just get our ugly out of the way now?
2. Alcohol. While I enjoy day drinking (probably more than I should, but I enjoy anything unnecessary and decadent for that matter), it is much less acceptable to meet for a drink at 3 pm in the afternoon. SOOO, we can skip the alcohol during a day meeting and go for coffee (or in my case, tea). This allows me to think clearly. Or as clear as my denial-brain allows me.
3. Length. Maybe I want to schedule a double-header. Maybe I just want to take a really long post-date nap before dinner. Either way, the midday date allows me more time because I can down an iced tea much faster than a Greyhound. Actually, I can drink them at pretty much the same speed, but I'm trying to be a lady here.
4. Kissing. So much harder/weirder to go for that end of the date kiss after a 30 minute coffee interview. Enough said.
We agree to meet for coffee down the street from my apartment. As I'm walking toward the spot I see him drive up on his little Vespa.
Side Note: I hold a special place in my nostalgic heart for Vespas because the first guy I went "all the way home" with drove one and he took me around San Fran on it. And that's the only memorable thing I can say about that. Actually, that's an entry that I will save for later.
FIRST IMPRESSION: He's cute. He has sort of curly, wild hair, but not too long. He's wearing a brown pullover sweater and has green eyes.
FIRST IMPRESSION: He's cute. He has sort of curly, wild hair, but not too long. He's wearing a brown pullover sweater and has green eyes.
Anywho, his helmet has sparkles on it and we make eye contact. I should point out that I end up really liking this guy so I'm sort of upset even describing this. Whatever. We go into the coffee joint and he doesn't pay for my iced tea. Since this is a new dating environment for me, I can't decide whether or not to be offended. I mean, it was only $1.50. Just pay for it. We sit outside and it's that really pretty time of day when the sun decides it's going to set soon. Everything looks golden.
We chat about work, our families, exes (not usually a good idea) and laugh a bunch. I announce that I want a cookie and he buys it for me. This makes me happy. Maybe after talking a bit he decides that I'm worth buying a cookie for? All I know is that his green eyes are pretty and very distracting so I blurt that out while he's telling me something. Rude, I know. But, wouldn't you want to hear a compliment even if it meant being interrupted? I sure would.
All is going well on this date except for one little thing. He brings up religion. I should inform you that the dating site where we met lists one's religious stance/beliefs on your profile so a person who pays attention knows where the other stands before meeting in the flesh. He goes on to state with clear vehemence how he is Jewish by birth but an atheist by choice. He then says, "Oh, I forgot I'm talking to a Catholic girl." Yes. What of it? Obviously, he has some sort of problem with people who believe in a higher being because he wouldn't let it go (I on the other hand do not care what the other person believes and wouldn't push ideas on anyone). He said, "I'm going to introduce you to ideas you've never thought of. Like, what if God doesn't exist?" I'm no dating expert, but I'm pretty sure this is something you don't say on the first date. This should have been a red flag.
That issue aside, we decide we enjoy each other's company and want to meet again. No kiss (yet), but a nice little hug goodbye. I'm excited.
Date #22: Pretty. Reminded me of The Doors' song "Summer's Almost Gone."


No comments:
Post a Comment