Blind Date Diary

Blind Date Diary

Monday, August 2, 2010

Mr. Perfect

January 2nd, 2010

My irrational excitement over Mr. Perfect found validation when he called me two days after Christmas.  Typically, I prefer to avoid phone calls prior to the first date since there is really nothing much to talk about and if you get all of the standard conversation topics out of the way early, there are no safety nets when you meet.  And I sort of need safety nets.  However, I made an exception for Mr. Perfect since he asked, well told me, to give him my number (I sort of love being told what to do).  I should also point out that I am pretty certain the "pre-date phone call" is de rigueur for guys over 32.  While 20 somethings are completely comfortable setting up a date via text or email, the 30+ man likes to lay the groundwork with a call.  Mama taught them manners.   

I almost pass out from excitement after talking to him on the phone.  So funny and cute.  And a date is set!  He's back in town for New Year's (of course I'm not going to try to hone in on that, would be so NOT dating professional) and we decide to meet on the 2nd at a completely new nearby bar (not NEW, just new to me).  Do I live in Bar Central USA?  Yes.  I wait for him outside because, by this point, I've learned that going inside obligates you to purchasing your own drink and that is certainly not something I want to do.  If I go in and order water while I wait, then it's obvious that I'm waiting for him to buy me a drink.  So I wait outside so it's more of a courtesy, like waiting for the other party's food to arrive before diving in.  I'm turning into quite the tricky little female.

FIRST IMPRESSION: He's tall and perfectly proportioned - like a man.  Wearing glasses and dressed in an argyle sweater and slacks (sounds like a science teacher, but looks way better).  He's losing his hair I'm pretty sure, so he shaves his head.  Not usually attracted to this, but his eyes are gorgeous and he has a very handsome face so it's not an issue at all.  He's really, really cute.

We awkwardly hug and head inside.  He buys my drink and I do the customary "grab-for-my-purse" move.  He says he's got it, but adds, "You can get it next time."  Hmm.  I have mixed emotions about this.  I like that he's thinking there will already be a next time, BUT I do not like this whole "me getting it" nonsense.  I thought he was old-fashioned.  Shrug it off.

We make ourselves comfortable on a bench sitting side by side.  We have a lovely conversation during which he does not stray from his forward facing position while I have turned my body so much towards him that I'm pretty sure the only one who can't tell I'm attracted to him is the bum asking for change outside, across the street.  Yeahhhhh, I wear my heart on my sleeve, what can I say?  I'm thrilled to hear about his life story (which was somewhat tragic) and his previous relationships.  I point out that I particularly like how he wrote in his profile, "You should contact me if you won't get upset when I kiss your neck or grab your ass in public at random during our life together."  He gets excited about this (apparently, other girls have been offended by the statement) and explains that what he really wants is a relationship where you are so into the person you can't keep your hands off of each other.  Exactly!  I get it.  Why doesn't he get that I get it?

Two drinks and it's over.  I walked to the bar on purpose so he would offer to drive me home (another tricky girl maneuver) which he did.  He pulls up to my apartment building and puts the car in park to walk me to my door.  Um, SWOONING.  And...........no kiss.  A hug.  A stupid hug.

Date #13: Disheartening.

No comments:

Post a Comment