Blind Date Diary

Blind Date Diary

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mr. Pretty Alright

February 10th, 2010

Pulled back into the nocturnal world, I had another date set with a rather tall gentleman (6'3 is plain ridiculous next to my 4'10 frame) a few days after my recent Doubleheader.  After doing a re-run of this date in my head, I'm not sure I have any justification for his name.  He was anything but "Alright."  I decide that I've spent enough time away from one of my favorite neighborhood haunts for the bartender to forget about my string of five dates in one week - all with different men - so that's where we planned to meet.  I arrive a little early and text him that I'll meet him outside (this isn't my first rodeo, helloooooo).  While standing outside of the bar, putting my hands in and out of my coat pockets (it's times like these that I consider picking up smoking)I overhear the two girls next to me talking about how one of them is meeting a date inside the bar.  I can't help but join in their conversation and let them know that I, too, am waiting for a blind date.  I then look over my shoulder, making sure a 6'3 man isn't anywhere in sight, and proceed to carefully pull out a business card to hand them.  This particular card has a pin-up girl kicking her legs up and says "For a good time..." and on the flip side my dating blog address.  The girls are in love with this idea and begin to list off all of their recent dates and giggle like it's 3rd grade all over again.  They head inside and are excited to see how this date transpires for me.  I promise to divulge if we happen to meet in the ladies.

FIRST IMPRESSION:  He's extremely tall, but I knew he would be.  The fact that he's lanky stretches his 6'3 to 7'2 in my mind.  Whatevs.  He's cute, although his clothes have a hint of Burning Man or bedroom floor.  I ignore it.

We take our seats at the bar and start in with small chit chat.  He talks A LOT about himself, but after 30 blind dates I'm usually expecting this.  He works in television production, doing what, I don't know.  Gosh, for going on so many dates I think I've developed a bad habit of not listening.  It was inevitable.  Things are going along smoothly when he decides he needs to have a cigarette outside.  I stay inside to save our seats.  Before I know it I'm sitting alone at the bar feeling awkward.  After a few minutes he returns and we again settle in to chatting.  He tells me he has a dream catcher tattoo on his back.  I put that in my back pocket to ponder over with my friends later (does this cover his entire back?  Wouldn't this look stupid in any size?  Why did he bring this up out of nowhere?).  Dream catcher comment tucked away, I decide I will let him kiss me.  He has a nonchalance about him that I'm attracted to for whatever reason.  Okay, well that reason is that I'm super competitive and love a good challenge.  Oh, you don't seem to like me much?  Perfect!  Yeah, it's really like that.  I'm working on it.  Anywho, he decides he needs to smoke again.  This time I go outside with him because why he is leaving me inside?  He takes a phone call while we're outside.  Okay.  I would just like to say that he ended up going outside to smoke another two times.  UNBELIEVABLE.  So RUDE.  Who ever told him that going out for four smoke breaks during a date was acceptable behavior?  Clearly someone that grew up in the woods.  My annoyance with him threatens to destroy the attraction.  The date ends with a hug.  

I'm still irritated with his behavior several days later, but am excited when he texts me to ask for another date.  Here's where things got weird.  He suggests "that sushi place by your house."  Strange, he doesn't know where I live.  I shrug and confirm the date.  Then receive another text cancelling the date because he's within the last hour really "busy with work for the next five days and won't be able to get away."  He realized he had texted the wrong girl.  Schmuck.

Date # 32.  Who cares?  He had a dream catcher tattoo for crying out loud.

1 comment:

  1. OMG how rude is he. Dreamcatcher tattoo a sure sign to stay away.

    ReplyDelete