January 18th, 2010
After a brief coffee encounter with Mr. Atheist, a second date was set. And the way it was set warmed my old-fashioned heart. Nothing too special, but he called me to tell me he looked up a few restaurants close to my place that seemed really nice and wanted to check with me on what time he should make a reservation. Cuuuttee! I love initiative and I love reservations even more. A second date was scheduled for two nights after our first date.
After a brief coffee encounter with Mr. Atheist, a second date was set. And the way it was set warmed my old-fashioned heart. Nothing too special, but he called me to tell me he looked up a few restaurants close to my place that seemed really nice and wanted to check with me on what time he should make a reservation. Cuuuttee! I love initiative and I love reservations even more. A second date was scheduled for two nights after our first date.
I walk to the restaurant in a pair of gold 1940s wedges. Never mind the rain, this is a fancy dinner date. I arrive and he's still cute (sometimes two days can change that). He compliments my dress and we look at the menu. This is where another problem arises. I eventually come to realize that I'm pretty sure he hates the essence of my being. This starts to reveal itself in little ways. Example: The waiter asks what we would like to drink and (being that we're at an Italian restaurant) I look up at Mr. Atheist and say, "Prosecco seems appropriate, don't you think?" He looks annoyed, but tries to cover it with a laugh and says, "Appropriate? Who cares what's appropriate? What do YOU want to drink?" Alright, so I'm a little over-accommodating when I like someone. I just think of it as hospitality, but Mr. Atheist thinks of it as a problem. I tell him I want prosecco. I'm pretty sure that the second date is really not the time to start pointing out what you think are someone else's flaws. Just leave me be!
Despite this, we have a pretty good time. He's a funny guy, edits some comedy show that I've never seen, but apparently my friends are huge fans of. After he pays for dinner we get a drink at a Korean BBQ place. He offers to walk me back to my front door in the drizzle and of course I agree, completely ignoring the slight tension at dinner, and really just hoping for a kiss. I ask if he can give me a ride on his Vespa and he refuses because he only has one helmet. Sure, rain + alcohol + 1 helmet doesn't = smart, but c'mon! So boring.
We stop in front of my walkway and hug goodbye. He's chewing gum which I don't remember him offering to me. He looks at me and says, "Can I kiss you?" I just smile and nod my head yes. Then, a strange thing happened. He steps in closer, turns his head to the right and spits his gum out right in front of me before going in for the kiss. I mean, right across my face. I thought I must be crazy because no one would ever do something like that. Right? This must be the prosecco causing hallucinations?! I just go with the comfortable assumption that I imagined this and when he says, "Can I kiss you again? Because I really want to," I let him.
After the date, I'm in a bit of a haze. I want to see him again. I think. But did he really just project some spitty thing out of his mouth? Yes, he did. And I let him kiss me twice.
Date #23: Perplexing. Also, WHAT AM I DOING?


No comments:
Post a Comment