Blind Date Diary

Blind Date Diary

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mr. No Manners

January 14th, 2010

Let me just get this out there:  I don't know WHAT I was thinking with this one.  No, wait, I know.  I was trying to be diplomatic.  I thought I should give him a chance since he seemed nice and was interested.  Gosh, just listening to myself makes me sick.  Is that really all it takes?  Being nice and interested?  Bleh.  And I should point out that nine of his ten profile photos were semi-geeky with him in dockers and flip flops wearing a toothy smile.  Stuffed in the middle of those pictures was this gem.  See that?  Yes, nipple piercings.  I did try to ignore this picture as it frightened me so, but, alas, I could not escape it.

We scheduled our little date at a new spot for me (whew!) so the possibility of a run-in was low.  He calls me while I'm driving to let me know he has arrived and I confess that I'm running late.  He asks if he can get me a drink while he's waiting.  Of course he can!  Now, this is a good move.  Men should ALWAYS do this.  Made me like him before I exited the car.  We should have ended the date there.

FIRST IMPRESSION:  He's sitting out on the front patio of the bar in a nice black coat.  He's tall and okay looking.  Broad-shouldered and looks like the sort of guy that would wear cologne.  I'm not offended.  Yet.

We hug lightly and he presents me with my drink.  How sweet!  I should note that at this point in my dating life it's weird for there to be a lack of a hug while first meeting because I like to pretend that we already know each other.  We dig into conversation and, again, I'm not yet offended.  He talks about working with his father, how he's from New York originally, he frequents his parents' house, and his previous long-term relationship.  Something starts to bug me.  I can't quite figure out what it is yet.  Maybe it's his slightly longer than usual finger nails.  Or the fact that he mentions "partying" more than necessary.  I soon decide that this man is uncouth.  That is exactly the word that describes him best.  Well, guido might also apply.  I end up learning that his dad's toenails are so thick and gross that his mother uses plant clippers to cut them.  He then goes on to explain his frustrating search for love and how he wants his future wife to "party" with him until they "both collapse on the bed together."  Um.  Ew.  He just can't stop spewing this sort of information for the entirety of the date.

I start to think he may be high, I mean his eyes are bloodshot and he gives a look of stern concentration whenever I open my mouth to speak.  Now, I've gone on a date accidentally inebriated, but that was once and I like to think that I wouldn't have if I knew about the date in advance, which Mr. No Manners did.  It's weird because he's really trying and I don't have anything specifically against him, except for a lifestyle preference I guess.  I decide he reminds me too much of my father to warrant another date.  He's in the construction biz, likes to party, and has coarse habits.  No, no, no.  I can only imagine his habits are worse than he lets on if only for the very fact that he would let them be known at all on a first date.

He emails me asking for another date, but I refuse.  He sends a second email just double-checking to see if I had changed my mind.  Still can't forget the toenail story, so no.

Date #21: First (and hopefully last) "On a Date With My Father" date.

1 comment:

  1. exactly what is they type of guy that wears cologne? Toenails gross - what would make him think that was something he should share. I say give him another chance. He could turn out quite interesting. Love the ink! I bet he manscapes too!

    ReplyDelete